▷ Have an escape route and plan in mind.
▷ Leave your belongings behind.
▷ Keep your hands visible to emergency responders.
▷ Hide in an area out of the shooter’s view.
▷ Block entry to your hiding place, and lock the doors.
▷ Silence your cell phone.
▷ Fight as a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger.
▷ Attempt to incapacitate the shooter.
▷ Act with physical aggression, and throw items at the active shooter.
▷ Call the local emergency number when safe.
▷ Provide the following information, if possible:
‣ Location of the active shooters
‣ Number of shooters
‣ Physical description of shooters
‣ Number and type of weapons held by shooters
‣ Number of potential victims at the location
▷ Remain calm and follow instructions.
▷ Put down any items in your hands (for example, bags or jackets).
▷ Raise hands and spread fingers.
▷ Keep hands visible at all times.
▷ Avoid quick movements toward officers, such as holding on to them for safety.
▷ Avoid pointing, screaming, or yelling.
▷ Do not stop to ask officers for help or direction when evacuating.
‣ Leave the area if safe to do so.
‣ Leave all belongings behind.
‣ Prevent others from entering the danger area.
‣ Call 911 after reaching safety.
‣ Lock and secure all doors.
‣ Barricade the door if possible. Remain calm and quiet.
‣ Stay away from doors and windows. Avoid being seen.
‣ Stand against and interior wall and out of the line of fire.
‣ Be prepared to fight back if the shooter gains entry.
‣ Fight back only as a last resort.
‣ develop a plan to defend yourself and others.
‣ Focus on surprising and taking down the shooter.
‣ improvise weapons from what is around you.
‣ be loud and aggressive. Use your strength in numbers.
‣ Disarm the shooter, but do not pick up the gun.