In order to "port" from one Housing Authority to another, you need to:
This may take as long as 4-6 weeks.

Step 1: Contact your local Housing Authority to start the port to Wake County Housing Authority (WCHA).

Step 2: Contact the Portability Specialist, Alicia Jackson from WCHA.
Phone: 919-269-6404 ext. 215
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 399, Zebulon, NC 27597

Step 3
: WCHA does a Review and You will be contacted to confirm your info in 3-5 days.

Step 4
: After 10-14 days, once all your paperwork is complete (on their end), you will be invited to a virtual Briefing. You will then receive a moving packet (I can pick it up instead of waiting on mail).

Step 5
: Find housing (see options below), give new landlord your moving packet to complete paperwork. Landlord (or we) will deliver the packet to WCHA. 

Step 6
: Once packet is submitted it is another 7-10 days until its processed and moved to Inspection. If the unit passes inspection, they will finalize your portion of the rent and send the contract to the landlord.

Note: Do not move into new unit until inspection passes!

Inform your current Landlord with the appropriate heads up.

And: Prepare for the Move (throw away, clean, fix, etc.).

Items to Have Ready
(May not be necessary for the virtual meeting)
1) Birth Certificates for all family members
2) Social Security Cards for all family members
3) Current Income verification for all family members
4) Bank Statements for the last 3 months for all household members this this applies to
5) Acceptable form of photo identification for all family members 18 years of age or older (ie: state issued drivers license, student ID, etc)
Features Housing from Raleigh housing Authority (South of Us) & Wake County Housing Authority (north of us)
Pinch to Zoom
Back to Top