HOW TO HANDLE A GAS LEAK INDOORS
Natural gas/propane is colorless and odorless. Before gas goes into the distribution system, a substance called mercaptan is added, which provides a strong sulfur-like odor and warns us of gas leaks. If you experience a gas leak indoors, remember the following safety tips:
• Evacuate everyone from the area.
• Call 911 and Duke Energy at (513) 651-4466 or toll-free at (800) 634-4300.
• Do not use a phone of any kind or any electronic device at the site that operates on batteries.
• Do not light matches, candles or smoking materials.
• Do not turn on or turn of any electrical switch or appliance.
• Do not start a vehicle in a garage or near a gas leak, or operate a garage door opener near a gas leak. If you know where your gas appliance valve or your gas meter valve is located, you might consider turning it of by hand, with a pipe wrench or other appropriate tool. Once you turn it of, don’t attempt to turn it back on. Call NV Energy. If the leaking gas ignites, don’t try to put out the fames. Call 911 and then call NV Energy.